Today’s Scripture Readings
Epistle Reading: 2 Corinthians 1:1-7
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in all Achaia: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. Or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation.
Gospel Reading: Matthew 21:43-46
Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it. And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder.” Now when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His parables, they perceived that He was speaking of them. But when they sought to lay hands on Him, they feared the multitudes, because they took Him for a prophet.
Saints and Feasts celebrated today
- Afterfeast of the Dormition of the Mother of God
- Martyr Agathonicus of Nicomedia, and others who suffered under Maximian
- Martyr Zoticus of Nicomedia, and others who suffered under Maximian
- Hieromartyr Athanasius, Bishop of Tarsus in Cilicia, Ven. Anthusa the Nun,
and those with them
- Virginmartyr Eulalia of Barcelona and the Martyr Felix
- Icon of the Mother of God of Georgia
- St. Bogolep, disciple of St. Paisius of Uglich
- Venerable Isaac I of Optina